Increase the efficiency of your existing fireplace with a new insert or an overlapping fireplace door equipped with a grate heater! Wood fireplace inserts deliver increased zone heating that is beyond extraordinary! Inserts are typically used to upgrade or convert masonry fireplaces into more effective heating appliances. In fact, they work in the same way that a fireplace does. Inserts are essentially a fireproof box encased with cast iron or steel, with high temperature, heat radiating ceramic glass installed in the doors. This closed combustion appliance, when combined with a blower and venting system, circulates warm air throughout the room and offers advantages for energy efficiency and cost effectiveness! The United States has approved two different installation techniques:
- Direct Connect
- A stainless steel liner attached to the top of the insert body is directed up into the chimney of the existing fireplace. While this configuration may be less expensive to install, the requirements for cleaning, maintenance, and repair can be time consuming and even costly, as the insert must be removed for these tasks.
- Flexible Flue Liner
- Modern chimney liners are made from a variety of materials, such as solid double wall pipe or flexible stainless steel liner. A contractor or other professional feeds the new liner through the top of the chimney and then connects with the insert. Flexible liners are designed to curve and bend around the smoke shelf and damper in the "throat" of the chimney. Solid liners may need a slight make over, such as removing part of the chimney throat so that it can reach the insert. Some liners can even be sealed to the masonry within your chimney. This will prevent cold air and fumes from entering your home. Fireplace inserts that must be installed in this manner are considered permanent.
We offer two different styles of wood burning fireplace inserts:
- Wood Fireplace Inserts
- Our Napoleon models will provide a comfortable heat source for your home. Cool air is drawn into the firebox where it feeds the fire through combustion. Smoke and gases that are produced from this process escape via the chimney. Heat that is generated will radiate into your living space and provide ample comfort and warmth.
- Fireplace Doors With Grate Heaters
- Our Custom Metal Company fireplace doors with grate heaters are also designed to upgrade your masonry fireplace! The grate heaters circulate cold air from the room into the grate's metal tubing and blow warm air back out. The air tight doors allow your wood to burn for 6-8 hours. The doors are customizable as well, with a variety of options for frame finishes. If you enjoy cooking over your fire for that yummy wood smoked flavor, look for select products that come with an add-on option of a stainless steel cooking grill and/ or a swinging crane-styled pot holder.
Our fireplace insert heat exchangers are designed to fit into your existing masonry fireplace, just like a regular wood fireplace insert. These inserts are easy to install, and once they're in, you'll never have to worry about relining your chimney again.
These wood burning fireplace inserts are designed for masonry fireplaces only. Actual heat production is dependent on the type and quality of firewood used. If you're unsure of how to measure your fireplace unit for an insert, call our customer service professionals. We will help you get the perfect fit for these American made products.