Can I Get A Fireplace Door Without A Frame?
Surprisingly, the answer is yes! Some replacement fireplace doors come with a frame, and others do not. Let us explain:
- Replacement doors that do not come with a frame are for prefab or zero clearance fireplaces. You MUST be sure this is the type of fireplace that you have before attempting to replace glass doors that are not mounted in a frame. Please look for your manufacturer tag (located inside your firebox) to determine the model number and manufacturer of your fireplace.
- Make sure the manufacturer and model number information matches that on the replacement doors you are considering.
- Replacement doors that do not come with a frame consist of four glass panels – two panels on each side that are hinged together. These bifold fireplace doors attach to your firebox by way of a track.
- A track is a metal channel that is mounted across the top of your fireplace.
- The bi-fold panels attach to the firebox with pins. The pins are inserted into the holes that are located on each end of the track.
- Remember: these replacement glass doors will only work if you have an existing track on your fireplace!
- There are some prefab fireplace doors that come with a frame which utilizes a built-in track. The frame is installed in the firebox, and then the bi-fold doors snap into the frame.
We believe in hassle-free products that are built to last. From our experience, we have seen too many miscalculations and mishaps occur over the years when customers attempt to get replacement doors without frames. Over a short amount of time, the bifold doors will even stick and resist easy-open and close with the existing track in your fireplace. While we do have a select number of these no-frame door styles, we highly recommend getting a “complete set” when replacing your fireplace doors. This is the ideal way to replace your doors because you are guaranteed an exact fit! When a frame accompanies the glass panels, this can make all the difference in the operation of your fireplace doors when it’s all said and done. (Additionally, a new look can make your entire living space feel fresh and new!)
Last updated on July 19th 2017.
Click on the Add New button below to submit a question about this product. Please ONLY submit product questions. For all other inquiries, please contact us at 1-877-373-6677.