What type of fireplace do you have: masonry or prefab? This can be difficult for some people to determine. Remember - just because the exterior of your fireplace features stone, rock, brick or tile - this doesn't necessarily mean it is a masonry fireplace. The firebox and chimney are what determines masonry from the prefab. If you are unsure of the type of fireplace you have, check out the pictures and information below for more help!
• Is the exterior of your chimney brick or stone?
• Was the fireplace built during the construction of your home?
• Are your fireplace and chimney created from stone, rock, or brick?
• Is the interior of your chimney lined with clay tiling?
• Is your fireplace an integrated part of your home's structure?
If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, then you have a masonry fireplace!
• Is the exterior of your chimney faced with the same siding material as your home?
• Does your chimney have/require a steel pipe?
• Was the fireplace added to your home after construction?
• Is your firebox manufactured from metal, or is there any metal around the fireplace itself?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, you have a prefab fireplace!