Filipino BBQed Chicken Drumsticks - Marinade, Prep, & Cooking Directions
Chicken drumsticks are a popular food choice, especially in Asia. There are many different ways to prepare it. My personal favorite is a very simple marinade and cooking method quite popular in the Philippines. The marinade varies a bit depending on what part of the country you live in. The following recipe is the basic variation.
- 1kg Fresh Chicken Drumsticks
- 1/2 Whole Garlic - minced
- 4-5 Medium Red Onions - minced
- 5g Thyme
- 5g Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- 100ml Marination Soy Sauce
- 60ml White Vinegar
- 10ml Calamansi Juice
- 50ml Coconut Oil
Directions - Marinating the Chicken Drumsticks
- Place the drumsticks in a large container and rub salt and pepper onto them.
- Add the garlic and red onions into the container and toss.
- Add the imagination soy sauce, white vinegar, and calamansi juice. Mix everything together.
- Add the thyme and rosemary. Mix once more, cover your container and place it in the fridge.
- Leave it there overnight or for at least three hours before use.
Directions - Cooking the Drumsticks
- Make sure your barbeque is starting to show embers before cooking. (Low-medium heat if you are using gas)
- Place drumsticks at least 2-3cm apart on the grill.
- Wait for two minutes or until the undersides of your drumsticks start to turn a faint brown. Turn over the drumsticks and cook until fully brown.
- To be on the safe side, use an immersion thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of your drumsticks reaches 74°C. (165°F)
- Serve immediately.